Best LEGO Coding Sets and Toys for Kids Buying Guide: Welcome to Technika’s round-up of the top LEGO Coding Sets and Toys for Boys and Girls you can buy in 2019. This buying guide is the result of many days of building and playing with LEGO coding sets, reading thousands of user reviews, crowdsourced opinions and owner ratings, our personal experience, and more. From SPIKE Prime, MINDSTORMS, BOOST to LEGO DUPLO, find the perfect LEGO Coding Sets for kids, teenagers and even adults.
WHY SHOULD KIDS LEARN TO CODE?
Coding is important because it will open worlds of endless opportunities for kids.
LEGO ROBOT PROGRAMMING FOR KIDS
When you ask kids what they would make a robot do if they had one or could build one and their answer probably would make you laugh, wonder and most likely start lively discussions. With LEGO coding sets and toys, boys and girls alike can build and program their own version of robots. There are no limits what their robot should look and act like. The possibilities are truly endless. They can work on building and coding robots as a hobby alone, with friends or with you.
WHO CAN LEARN TO CODE WITH LEGO TOYS?
Anyone. Kids are curious and playful by nature and those are the only skills they need to begin coding. Coding teaches them valuable life skills such as language skills, organizational and problem-solving skills, curiosity, creativity and confidence, and stronger future with STEM.
Language Skills – Learning a computer language of computer code is very similar to learning a different language.
Organizational and Problem-Solving Skills – When kids start programming actions of a robot, computer or a game they learn to identify all the small steps that when combined create the bigger journey. Soon they learn to anticipate obstacles and come up with creative shortcuts or add some unexpected details that improve the overall experience. It is not guaranteed that they will build and program a robot that will do a lot of smart tasks or they will send a rocket to space in the future, but they can definitely have a lot of fun trying.
Curiosity, Creativity and Confidence – Kids can make a lot of cool things out of various things like boxes and cardboard. Just image what they can make with computer code! Kids use many creative ways to use what they have to build new things. Whether it is making a LEGO animal or robot come to life, with computer code they can create their own toys or games to play with friends.
Stronger Future with STEM – No matter what kids want to be one day – scientists, race car drivers, teachers, chefs, artists, chances are they will work with one or more of the STEM disciplines: science, technology, engineering or math. They do not need to be experts in these fields, but just learning the basics of coding will give them a much deeper understanding of the technologies they will be working with. See the best LEGO STEM toys.
HOW DO KIDS LEARN HOW TO CODE WITH LEGO TOYS?
For kids the best way to learn anything is through play. Same goes for coding. Here is how to get started with LEGO coding toys for boys and girls of all ages.
Best LEGO Coding Sets and Toys for Kids 2019
- LEGO Education SPIKE Prime STEAM learning tool
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3
- LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox
- LEGO Education WeDo 2.0
- LEGO Education Duplo Coding Express
LEGO Education SPIKE Prime
The LEGO Education SPIKE Prime Set is the best STEAM learning tool for students in grades 6-8. Combining colorful LEGO building elements, easy-to-use hardware, and an intuitive drag-and-drop coding language based on Scratch, SPIKE Prime engages students through playful learning activities to think critically and solve complex problems, no matter their learning level – all while having fun.
- Builders of all ages will love building and coding their fully-functional robot to walk, talk, and even play games or complete tasks! This educational STEM robot toy makes engineering fun for everyone who builds it.
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 is built with 601 pieces and includes the intelligent EV3 Brick, 3 servo motors, plus color, touch and IR sensors. Connect with your smart device and download the free EV3 programmer app to control the robot!
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 comes with instructions for 17 different robotic designs, each with its own unique features. Builders can program their STEM robots to talk, walk, grab, shoot targets and more! Kids will love this creative and educational toy!
- LEGO MINDSTORMS building toys are compatible with all LEGO construction sets for creative building.The perfect tech toy if you want to build your own robot and explore endless learning activities
- Who doesn't love robots? Introduce kids to the creative world of coding with the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- Includes 847 LEGO pieces that kids can build and rebuild into 5 cool multifunctional models. The best and most popular robotics toys for 7-12 year old boys and girls who love to tinker and learn about science. Use the latest tech like color, distance and tilt sensors.
- Construct and code Vernie the Robot to dance, rock out on the Guitar4000, foster Frankie the Cat, interact with the Autobuilder, or explore a new discovery with the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4). The IQ-boosting activities are endless!
- Award-winning toy and the perfect gift for kids and teenagers. Instructions for all 5 models are included with the free LEGO BOOST app. Download in the Amazon Appstore: amazon.com/dp/B075LL7KGB. Requires 6x AAA 1.5V batteries (not included).
- Lego Education Wedo 2.0 Core Set 45300
- WeDo 2.0 features wireless technology
- A built-in documentation tool along with assessment rubrics
- A design library full of ideas and inspiration for creating solutions to projects
- Set includes 234 LEGO DUPLO bricks for a hands-on introduction to steam
- Free optional app combines physical play with digital Intervention
- Coding express teacher guide with 8 steam online lessons: 4 lessons use the physical set and 4 lessons use the digital app.
- Lessons were developed based on the National Association for The education of young children (naeyc)
RELATED BUYING GUIDES
LEGO Coding for Kids: https://www.lego.com/en-us/products/categories/coding-for-kids